On January 27, 2020, from 10:00 through 13:00 leading human rights organizations will hold a round table “Protection of civic activists: exiting problems and possible solutions”. The event will take place in business conference-hall “Inveria” (Kyiv, 49A, Volodymyrska str.).
Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union, Information Center on Human Rights “ZMINA”, and NGO “Truth Hounds” with a support of Freedom House in Ukraine prepared an analytical report reports “Situation with Human Right Defenders and Civic Activists in Ukraine in 2019”, which will be presented at the event.
Report provides analysis of international documents, national legislation and conditions in which human right and civic activity has been conducted on controlled by Ukrainian government territory in 2019. It also reviews key problems, which human right and civic activists face. Also it contains description of cases of pressure on activists, in particular criminal civil and administrative pressure, threats, cases of physical violence (to include murders, physical attacks, property damaging), illegal surveillance and discrediting campaigns.
Speakers of the event:
Matthew Schaaf, Freedom House office in Ukraine, Vyacheslav Likhachov, Information Center on Human Rights “ZMINA”, Roman Avraamenko, NGO “Truth Hounds”, Myroslav Lavrinok, UHHRU, Ihor Vasyliv, Head of Temporary Investigative Commission for Ensuring Parliamentary control over investigation of attack on Kateryna Gandziuk and other civic activists, Oleksandr Pavlichenko, UHHRU, Hanna Rozhkova, UMDPL Association.
Moderator – Tetyana Pechonchyk, Head of the Information Center on Human Rights ZMINA.
It is expected that MPs, representatives of the National Police of Ukraine and Prosecutor’s Office will participate in the event.
During the round table, participants will discuss the topics as follows:
- Ways of pressure on civic activists in Ukraine in 2019.
- Work of the network of monitors on documentation of attacks and pressure on civic activists.
- Recommendations for government authorities and civil society, which will help to increase effectiveness of protection of civic activists.
- Legal issues in the area of protection of civic activists.
- Law enforcements: what can be done to protect civic activists right now.
- Investigation of crimes against activists in 2019.
- Work of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine in the field of protection of civic activists.
Event is supported by Freedom House office in Ukraine